The H.E. Myrick Conservation Center is the headquarters of the
Brandywine Valley Association. The 318 acre center is located
in Pocopson Township along Route 842, six miles west of West
Chester and three miles east of Unionville.
The center began in
1981 as a gift from Horatio Myrick. The center was then 212
acres which included farmland, woodland, wetland and meadows.
Since moving to the center in 1981, BVA has acquired an
additional 114 acres bringing the center to its present size.
The center is the site of BVA’s offices and also the location of its
watershed education programs. In addition, the center is the
site of many public programs throughout the year.
The property contains a Quaker Barn which
dates to the early 1800’s and contains several additions since
the original building. It also has a wood silo from the early
1900’s, the only such silo remaining intact in Chester County.
Also on the property is a springhouse dating to the
Revolutionary War period and a white oak tree dating to the time
of William Penn in the late 1600’s.
Presently much of the farm is used for
agriculture under a conservation plan developed in 1981. Crops
include corn, soybeans, wheat, alfalfa, and hay. The small
streams which begin on the property are being protected with
tree plantings to reduce overland runoff and filter out
The Myrick Center contains trails for
walking and horseback riding as well as areas for picnicking,
bird watching and enjoying the natural environment. Programs
take place at the Myrick Center throughout the year and are
listed on the website as well as the bulletin board at the
The Myrick Center is private property and
is open to the public during daylight hours.